Jailbreaks have been thin on the ground in recent years, but now we have a new one to talk about. Based on the checkm8 boot ROM exploit, checkra1n is the latest way to install Cydia and, once we’ve told you how to download it on your iPhone and iPad, we’ll tell you everything you need to know about it.
How to Download Checkra1n Jailbreak
Before jailbreaking your device using Checkra1n, there are a couple of things to know:
- Right now, Checkra1n is only supported on the Mac – support will be added for Windows in the near future
- Checkra1n is semi-untethered. This means whenever your iPhone or iPad is rebooted, you will need to reactivate the jailbreak.
- Checkra1n jailbreak is only supported on A5 to A11 64-bit devices
- It is fully supported on iOS 12.3 or higher, including the latest iOS 13 firmware
- iPhone 5S, iPad Mini, Mini 2, Mini 3 and iPad Air users – Checkra1n is purely experimental on these devices at the moment
- The default package manager is Cydia, but support will be added for Sileo, and others, in the near future.
Checkra1n jailbreak works on all these devices on iOS 12.3 to iOS 13.3:
- iPhone 5S – experimental
- iPhone 6/6S
- iPhone 6/6S Plus
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 7/7 Plus
- iPhone 8/8 Plus
- iPhone X/XR/XS/XS Max
- iPhone 11/11 Pro/11 Pro Max ( Unconfirmed )
- iPad Pro (10.5-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (2nd generation)
- iPad (9.7-inch)
- iPad Mini – experimental
- iPad Mini 2 – experimental
- iPad Mini 3 – experimental
- iPad Mini 4
- iPad Air – experimental
- iPad Air 2
Now we can look at how to install Checkra1n jailbreak. There are two methods, and both require your computer to install the jailbreak onto your iPhone.
How to install Checkra1n jailbreak?
Method 1: Mac OS X
So long as the above criteria have been met, you can follow these steps to install Checkra1n jailbreak onto your device.
- Using the official cable connect your iOS device to your Mac
- If you get a Trust This Computer message on your iPhone or iPad, click Yes
- Download Checkra1n onto your computer using the official link only
- Go to your downloads and find the .dmg file – double-click to open it
- Drag the Checkra1n app and drop it in your Applications folder
- Launch your Applications folder and find the Checkra1n file
- Right-click on it and select Show Package Contents from the drop-down menu
- Now click on Checkra1n, then click Contents>MacOS
- Find the Checkra1n_gui file and double-click on it – the Checkra1n application opens
- Make sure that it has detected your iPhone or iPad and click the Start button
- Checkra1n will now ask you to place your device into DFU mode; click the Next button and then click on Start
- Follow all the instructions on the screen to put your device into DFU – be patient as it may take a couple of attempts to get it right
- Once your device is in DFU mode, the jailbreak tool will begin exploiting and jailbreaking your device
- Your screen should show the verbose boot screen and the Checkra1n theme – leave your device alone until the process has completed
- When it’s done, you can close the application down on your computer
- Go to your device home screen and find the Checkra1n loader – tap on it
- When it opens, tap Cydia > install Cydia
- Wait; Checkra1n will start the process of installing Cydia onto your device
- When it’s done, the jailbreak app closes, and the Cydia icon is on your home screen.
Your iPhone or iPad is now successfully jailbroken with Checkra1n jailbreak.
Method 2: Windows PC
Instructions are coming soon when support is added into Checkra1n jailbreak. In the meantime, you can try the Ra1nUSB jailbreak tool.
How to Delete Checkra1n Jailbreak?
If you find that you need to remove the jailbreak for any reason, it is quite simple to do, and there are two ways:
Method 1: Cydia Eraser
After you have installed Cydia, go into it and download an app called Cydia Eraser.
- Tap the Cydia Eraser icon to open it
- Tap on the option that reads Delete All Data and Unjailbreak Device
- Next, tap on Delete All and leave your device – when Cydia Eraser has finished your device reboots, and you can set it up again.
Method 2: Restore Device
The only other way to remove the jailbreak is to use iTunes to restore your device, either back to factory settings or to a backup you took before installing Checkra1n
Which method you choose is entirely up to you, but it is worth bearing in mind that restoring your device will put it onto the latest iOS version; Cydia Eraser puts it back to the version you were on when the jailbreak was installed.
Jailbreaks are few and far between now, so grab this opportunity to get Cydia while it’s still there.
Latest posts by Rohan Chabra (see all)
- How to Download CheckRain for iOS13 [Complete Guide] - February 7, 2020
- GetAPK Market | Download Get APK Market for Android - February 4, 2020
- TutuApp – Download TutuApp for macOS and PC - February 2, 2020